Saturday, April 23, 2011

Easter

It's the night before Easter and I can't wait for tomorrow morning. I almost feel like it's Christmas! I've never been so excited for Easter before...but this year it seems more special than the years passed.

It's my first Easter as a Mom...As all Mother's know, your perspective changes a LOT when that little baby enters your life, and I think one of the biggest ways I've been changed is by my perspective on the atonement. There have been so many times that I look at my baby, and my heart is overflowing with joy because I know that the Savior lived and died for him. Hunter has changed my life in so many ways, but I honestly think that this is one of the best ways that he has changed me.

Growing up I never understood what Easter was about. I knew about the little marshmallow Peeps candys, jelly beans, the Easter Bunny, etc. but I never knew the real meaning of Easter. Because of this, I have decided that I'm not going to have the tradition of having my kids take pictures with the Easter Bunny. When I told this to Michael, he brought up the point of Santa Claus, and I was ready for that. Christmas, in my opinion, is easier to understand than Easter. I don't think that Santa can cloud the Christmas holiday as much as the Easter Bunny can. Santa at least gave to others by bringing them gifts, but what does the Easter Bunny offer? Now don't get me wrong, there can be a fun side to Easter. I did get Hunter a little basket, but I put his first "Easter" book in it, along with some other fun baby stuff, but he's still little. I may be contradicting myself by having an Easter basket, but there's the small fun stuff I still want to do. I've just decided that actually taking a trip to the Easter Bunny doesn't have any benefit to teaching my children about the true meaning of Easter. Now, if you take yours kids to the Easter Bunny, don't worry I won't judge you! hahaha I think my decision has a lot to do with how I understood Easter as a child.

Tomorrow, my dear, sweet friend Ginger Olsen and I are singing in church. We are singing the song "O, Lord My Redeemer". If you have not heard this song, you have to! (Below) It's the first time I've sung in church since I've had Hunter, and I'm hoping to make it through the song. Music has such a special place in my heart and how grateful I am to be able to share it, especially when I'm singing about something as sacred as Easter. I will never feel worthy enough to sing about something as special as the atonement, but I'm going to try my best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDjjxJDc0Xs&feature=related

Oh and I'm really excited because I'm starting the tradition of all of us matching as a family. I know of a few families that match every Sunday, and I think it's so cute! But due to my lack of Sunday clothes, Michael and I wouldn't be able to do that but I thought that at least once a year we can go to church wearing the same colors and looking like twinners. I got him his first little Easter suit and I can't wait to dress him in it tomorrow! Ya...I know, I treat him like my little dolly, but I can't help it! It's SO fun!

How grateful I am to know what Easter is all about...and as I say that, I still feel like there is so much more to learn about the atonement and what it really means. I've been looking forward to this day when all the Christians are celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ. It's the most important event that happened in the history of man...and I am eternally grateful.

Happy Easter everyone! He is risen!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I feel the same way about the Easter bunny lol. My family would always participate in Easter Egg hunts and do Easter baskets but that would always take place during the week prior to Easter and not on the actual day. My parents never talked about the Easter Bunny (who believes in a giant bunny who gives...eggs?!?!) and neither will I lol.

Kala said...

Hey cute girl! You need to update your blog!!! We need to catch up again sometime soon. Love ya!